Play Therapy

Ok, I guess I have a lot to say today! I have to post when I am feeling emotionally strong and energetic - which frankly does not happen every day:)

I am learning how to do play therapy with Joelle right now. We are doing this through Bethany Christian Services ( our adoption agency) ADOPTS program. This is a 11 week program where they evaluate the child ( sensory issues, etc) and teach the parent how to do play therapy. The therapy if child directed, meaning they get to play whatever they want ( sort of be in charge) as long as they are being safe and not being aggressive in inappropriate ways. For 30-45 minutes they chose what they play ( usually from the toys that are available in the room or box) and how they play with it. The parent stays with them very close and does not direct the play. The parent follow the child's lead and lets the child figure out what to do with the toys. The parent also has a sort of running commentary on what the child is doing, thus helping them put words to their feelings. I watch this being done for several weeks by the counselor and then I do it myself. I have done it twice with Joelle so far. I believe the purpose of this type of therapy is for the child to have an outlet for their feelings but also to have an environment where they have more control or an outlet for that control. It is an appropriate place to be in control, just as they are learning there are appropriate ways to express the feelings they have.

My last session with Joelle was very interesting. She used a doctors kit to bandage me up, as I was "hurt." Meanwhile, Joelle put on a cape and crown and proclaimed herself "Queen of the World!" She kept saying she was strong and powerful and ruling the world- LOL! I think this is the persona that she had to put on to survive three years in her orphanage. I think my job is to let her know that she no longer has to be strong and powerful, but it is mommy and daddy's job to protect her and keep her safe.

Comments

Popular Posts