Joy, Pain and Loss

Today is Joelle's second Gotcha Day! I put a picture on my Facebook page of her and I. After looking at it a while I was struck by the difference in our faces. This is not a new thought to me but I was struck anew with sadness for her.

My face was joyful about holding her in my arms for the first time. Her face was sad with a look of exhaustion. What was she feeling? Are these people safe? Will they take care of me or hurt me? Are they good or bad? Why can't I understand anything they are saying to me? They look and smell funny - like milk! Why is her hair that color? That man is sooo big!

I am reminded that along with the joy of adoption there is pain and loss for the child. Loss of a culture, a language, a country, on top of losing their biological mother and father. So, while we rejoice today in our adoption of Joelle I am mindful that this day for her may be a day of sadness and loss at times.

Comments

Popular Posts