I Love Our Church

I just love our church! It's not perfect and it is filled with imperfect people ( including me) but it is our home. My husband and I have been members for the past eight years. When we moved to Atlanta from Southern California we were looking for a Presbyterian Church that was very loving. Now, I can say this because I am Presbyterian, but we are not known for our love. We are known more for our theology I guess but what is that without love? So, when we moved here Mike and I prayed for a Presbyterian Church that was very loving. We were lead to The Vine Community Church ( called Big Creek Church at the time). We could tell right away that Jon Adams ( the lead pastor) was very loving. We knew after a few visits that this was the church.

Another thing that we loved about our church was the fact that they had a heart for adoption/orphans. Our pastor had adopted, the church was already talking about a future ministry in this area and there were four or five girls adopted from China or Korea in the church. For a church plant that was a large number in comparison to the overall church population.

Fast forward eight years or so and we have a church building and we have grown. The church has continued to grow in the area of ministry to the fatherless. Many people are adopting and more people are fostering in our church. I think an area that is missing is support for adoptive and foster parents. We are working on this and I am excited to see what God will do! He has given me a passion to help others on this road because I don't want ANYONE to feel as alone and helpless as I did! I am reading and re-reading both Heather Forbes and Karyn Purvis. I am taking classes and am toying with the idea of becoming a "coach" for families in the area of adoption. We will see where God takes me. In the meantime, I am just doing what God tells me to do day by day. There is such a need for this in all areas of the country and there is a definite shortage. I have even been able to share what I am learning with my Christian Counselor and she has begun reading the books! It is so exciting to be involved with something God is doing and to see Him move!

Comments

Popular Posts