Baby Steps Back

The last few weeks have been challenging. Daddy is having to travel a lot. Last week Mike was in Vancouver, British Columbia and this week he is in Chile. Next week he will travel as well.

Even before the travel I had been seeing more disobedience in Joelle. I would ask her to do something and she would tell me she had done it but then I go back later and find that she had not. This and other incidents repeated themselves many times a day. I thought that maybe she was feeling more secure in our family and therefore was ready for a few minor consequences. So, I tried it. Well, can I just say it totally did not work! It only caused her to do it all the more! So, I was left scratching my head over the reason to begin with and NOW my response to the doubled effort. I must admit that I still feel a little like I have no resources and no where to turn with this therapeutic parenting. Or maybe more accurately I feel like I am walking through a strange house with all the lights out and it is pitch dark. I'm feeling my way along the walls to see which way to go and trying not to bump into the furniture in the process. Anyway, I guess what this tells me is that I need to pray first and then re-read the books.

 I had to remind myself that it's not about the results but about the relationship!


Comments

  1. Hang in there mama!
    Is this any sort of anniversary time? Coming home, moving?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could it be the absence of Dad? Remember, you are doing the best you can and you WILL make it. Whatever you do, don't beat yourself up. There is always a light at the end of the tunnel...sometimes it just takes doing 10 steps forward 13 steps back. :) From following your blog for a while, all I can say is you're doing great...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you traumatotreasure! Thanks for the encouraging words!

      Delete
  3. Hi Christie! I can't think of any anniversaries that might be triggers. I know it is tough for her when Daddy goes away because she is more attached to Mike than me. She is doing much better with me these days, so maybe she is testing me? I don't know. I know she is always doing the comparison game with Zoe -ie:Zoe has more in her eyes, she got home first,etc.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts