New Habits and Goals

Last night I had an epiphany! Now for some of you this will be a no-brainer. For you first borns, natural planners and leaders this will sound silly. At night, when I can't sleep, I will come downstairs to read my bible, pray or listen to a sermon. Last night was no exception and so I came downstairs and listened to a sermon by Rick Warren of Saddleback Church entitled 40 Days of Prayer. When we lived in Southern California we attended Saddleback Church so they hold a special place in my heart! Rick said that studies show that it takes six weeks to develop a habit. He, of course, was relating this to the disciplines of a daily time in scripture, prayer, etc. So, if we want to change our lives it's necessary to develop new habits and goals. We must plan and change how we live our lives!

I have been thinking a lot lately about what I want my next fifty years to look like. What purpose does God have me here to do? Am I doing this job? What do I want my life to look like? I want it to count for something both for Christ and for my quality of life! The people who are the most successful are willing to set the goals and push past the difficulties of actually doing what they set out to do. Do you want to get into shape? Then you must plan to work out and eat well on a daily basis. Do you want to be closer to God? Then you must spend time in his Word on a daily basis and serve Him using your gifts. My husband is very good at this naturally. He wakes up faithfully every morning at 5am to spend time with God. He calls people, writes them notes and "actually" calls people when he is thinking of them!

Now, you must know that  this is not my natural bent. I'm the youngest child in my family, strong willed but not known for my discipline. To be sure, I have gotten things done when I really wanted it! I finished my B.A in Spanish in college and traveled to Spain to teach English at the Universitat de Cataluna. When it is something I want then I have the fortitude to complete it. But, it does not come naturally to me! So, I must make it a point to set some goals:

To be living out my purpose
Deep abiding relationships
Finish my book
Keep up my blog
Actively pursue my interests and hobbies
Improve my health by getting in shape

Then I must develop habits that help me achieve those goals:

Prayer campaign to discover where I should be spending my time and what I should be doing.
Excercise three days a week
Reduce sugar in my diet
Spend at least two hours each day writing.
Be intentional about my mentoring. Be faithful with those God has given me to mentor.
Invest in relationships through regular contact- text, email, calling.

Well, I have to get ready for church now.....

Much love and blessings!

Sherrie

Comments

Popular Posts