Resurfacing Behavior

Last week was tough! Daddy went to South Africa for the week. Joelle always gets scared when anyone leaves but particularly when Daddy leaves. Many of Joelle's old behaviors resurfaced and if the truth were to be told, so did mine.

Joelle took Zoe's iPod and hid it in her room. I knew she had taken it and she even admitted to me that she had. But, immediately after confessing she said she did not do it. She was very angry that I believed Zoe even though I pointed out that she had confessed the truth to me. I told her to find the iPod and return it to Zoe. She spent some time looking but claimed she did not remember where she had hid it. By the way, she is amazingly good at hiding things! I mean, we literally cannot find them if we look! Well, she was standing by her story of not remembering where she hid it. No amount of talking on my part could change her mind on this subject. I totally blew it and showed my exasperation and frustration with her.

The next morning it mysteriously showed up in Zoe's room. When I mentioned it to Joelle, she said she happened to find it. Alas, she was still sticking to her story:( Even though there are no consequences now ( other than me talking to her and asking her to return the object and apologize) for her behaviors she still has trouble telling me the truth. Maybe she just needs more time. For the most part she is doing much better in every area but when Mike leaves town she seems to regress.  I am hoping that one day soon she will feel safe and secure even when Daddy leaves.

Comments

Popular Posts