The Squeaky Wheel Gets the Oil

You know the saying, "the squeaky wheel gets the oil?" Well, for the last two years so much of my focus and attention has been on one child! Lord knows I've tried to spread myself equally but it has become apparent to me that one of my children has felt very overlooked!

It's funny because this child has also become a "squeaky wheel!" This child used to be a color-inside the -lines, obedient type of child. Well, No More! It has left my husband and I scratching our heads and wondering how to handle it. At first glance this disrespectful and downright disobedient behavior looks like rebellion. The natural tendency would make one want to clamp down. One might want to say, "straighten up! What's going one with you? You know better than to act like this!"

But, for God's still small voice.... that tells us, " this is something else." Today after talking to a wise, godly woman who is also my therapist (LOL!)I feel like my daughter is saying, " What about me? I need you too! I don't feel safe and I need to feel safe too! I am feeling very afraid these days and I can't seem to find my voice to express it."

So, my plan is to nuture her more. I will deal with the disobedience and disrespectfulness but with the idea in mind that this behavior is driven by hurt.

Comments

Popular Posts